Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Being present to compliments, seeing yourself

Last night, as I was typing away on my computer way past my bedtime, my friend remarked to me, “You’re so good, you write every night. If I did that, I’d be done with all my work as soon as I got home from my trip.”
Instead of thanking her for her compliment or even acknowledging what she said (you’re good, you write each night), I deflected it:
“Oh no,” I explained. “I’m not good. I’m writing on my blog because I want people to read it and write comments on it. I’m writing to get praise and attention,” I laughed. “But I’ve also found that when I feel the need to write, I should write, because that feeling doesn’t always come up and it’s hard to find later.”
I’m pretty sure I know why I did this, why I deflected her comment instead of accepting it, I think I said what I said because it was the truth. See, I had been noticing earlier that day how much I had been grasping at the possibility that people would love my travel blogposts, how eager I was to check to see if there were any comments on my blog, how instead of wandering around in the city I was in, I just wanted to get back to my hotel room to write. And this desire to write had nothing to do with writing and everything to do with the reaction I was hoping to get from it.
Also, when she said that I was good for writing every night, I knew that wasn’t true either. Though I had written each night since we had been together, that was more out of coincidence than from any discipline on my part. I just happened to want to write both those nights, it hadn’t come from a commitment to write each night or from a place of being good.
But the next morning, as we were walking through the bus station, I thought about the fact that I hadn’t been present to her when she gave me that compliment. She had offered something to me and I had pushed it away. I also thought about the fact that others often see in us the things that we don’t see in ourselves. I began to wonder if my deflection of her compliment might be my way of not seeing myself or rejecting another person’s accurate view of me.
So I reconsidered what she said. I thought about the possibility that I might be committed to writing (not each night, because I knew that wasn’t true). That made me remember that that night I actually had written in order to capture something that had happened that day because I thought it was important. And then I remembered that I had written something else because I knew it would help me to process some things, would help me to see myself better. I can't say that those were necessarily commitment to writing or being good, but they weren't me grasping for praise or attention either.
In all this, I still don’t really know if her compliment to me was true or not. But I think she saw something about me and my writing. And I guess what I want to do is to be aware of myself around this, to genuinely consider people’s comments to me, be aware of when I deflect them, and consider whether or not that deflection keeps me from seeing a self of me that I wouldn’t normally consider.

1 comment:

  1. heya :), so I'm currently waiting for David to swing by so we can leave for yosemite, and thought hey!- let's catch up on some good blog posts! That's so interesting... not at all that this applies to you, but just the part about acknowledging a compliment reminded me of what we were just learned in class how sometimes people can feel sort of scared of feeling or expressing emotions for various reasons...and of course this makes sense with anger for example, but it is interesting how sometimes it is hard for us to fully express or take in positive emotional exeriences like praise or excitement or laughter-because of our upbringing. and that it's healthy to let these in, in socially adaptable ways. haha, I'm good at taking in compliments, but not so great at being open and expressing myself which is why you are such an inspiration to me! oh my goodness, David is here, gotta run, c ya in yosemite in a jiffy!

    ReplyDelete