It's you.
I'm not happy about this, but it's true- it's you.
I figured this out during the last full moon ceremony.
We were chanting the refuges or the precepts or something like that and I said the line: "Buddha's way is unsurpassable, I vow to become it."
"F*#@" I thought to myself.
Buddha's way is unsurpassable.... that's referring to you. It's not the "way" some guy (Buddha) lived eons ago that is so "right" that it's unsurpassable, it's that YOU- who you are, your thoughts, your actions, all that stuff that you do that you have no control over- THAT is what is unsurpassable. You can't pass on your life, you can't go around it, you can't decide what crap you're going to say or do next, it's just gonna happen, you're gonna be you, whether you like you or not.
And then I heard myself say the next part of the line: I vow to become it.
"Double crap!" I thought to myself.
That's how I'm supposed to respond to this truth that who-I-am-is-inevitable: I have to become it.
I have to spend my time being who I am, regardless of who that is. I have to be in alignment with myself, stop trying to be someone else, actually become who I am.
Dude, this sucks.
I mean, I know that it's true. It makes perfect sense. If I want to live with less "suffering," then I need to stop going "against" things and instead try to be in accord or agreement with them. So vowing to become yourself, to give in to the fact that who you are is inevitable, allows you to live more in alignment with who you are- puts your effort into being you instead of fighting you. And this whole practice of "studying" the self is what supports you to see yourself so that you can actually become the self, become you.
So this vow- acceptance that who you are is unsurpassable so you might as well just become it- is about giving in, being true to yourself, trusting that who you are might be okay and that its kind of your responsibility to be it.
No comments:
Post a Comment