We were in the kitchen early in the morning when the phone
rang.
“Hello?” my sister answered.
“Oh! Hello!” my father replied. “I was expecting the
answering machine. I had a great idea in my sleep and I wanted to remind myself
about it by leaving a message on the machine.”
I was hoping he’d call back and leave a message so that I
could hear his great idea, but he didn’t. I’m not sure if he wrote it down or
if it was lost forever, but it got me thinking.
You know how you have those great ideas? Those things that
come to you out of the blue and they’re, like, genius? They always seem to come
when you’re in the shower or picking something out of the garbage disposal or
in the middle of the night. It’s like when you’re NOT thinking, that’s when those things come to you.
And then I thought about sesshin- and about how it was kind
of a full seven days of not thinking.
I thought about how those things that just
came up for me during sesshin, those were truths
about me, actual insights into myself,
instead of my own theories or explanations about who I am.
And I wondered if that’s what that ‘Eureka’ feeling is
about. I wonder if those ‘Eureka’ thoughts feel
like that because they are the truth. That in those moments, we are
actually seeing this world as it is. And that’s why it feels so
beautiful and powerful, and important. Because this life pretty amazing, in all
its complexities and things that are unexplainable. But we tend to only see the world as it is when we’re not trying so hard to see it, when we’re busy
doing something else, or when we are relaxed. And I guess that’s what zazen is
about- creating that same state of mind in which the truth… can show itself to
us and we… can see it.
Interesting! It would be good to talk sometime about truths you've learned about yourself during sesshin. Any big eureka moments?
ReplyDeletea funny story...I remember after sesshin I went into dokuson and told sensai some of the truths I had learned (which I can't remember now ;), but she said something back that has stuck with me: " Just remember, what you have found to be true in this moment may not be true in every situation. And what is true for you isn't necessarily true for everyone."
Thanks for the post lovely :)